INTEGRATE-HTA aimed to adapt and develop concepts and methods for HTA to enable an integrated assessment of issues of complex technologies as follows:
- Assessment of effectiveness and economic, socio-cultural, ethical, and legal issues of complex technologies
- Assessment of patient preferences and patient-specific moderators of treatment
- Assessment of context, setting, and implementation
- Integrating all issues in a comprehensive patient-centred assessment
- Closing existing methodological gaps in the assessment of complex technologies
Palliative care was used as a case study to test the methodology developed within the framework of the INTEGRATE-HTA project. Insights from the case study were subsequently used to refine the developed methodology and enhance its applicability to other complex technologies.